Back to Annual Report
Outstanding Leadership, Unique Expertise
Our world-renowned clinicians manage a high volume of complex heart failure cases in all areas, including pulmonary hypertension, amyloidosis, sarcoidosis and cardio-oncology. As part of a comprehensive, multidisciplinary management program, patients receive cutting-edge care with access to novel therapies, heart transplantation, mechanical circulatory support and investigative trials.
- Create unique, multidisciplinary care plans for more than 8,000 heart failure patients per year
- Diagnose amyloidosis and assess its pathophysiology using the most advanced imaging and testing and the newest therapies
- Spearhead clinical trials for procedures, devices and novel therapies
- Provide virtual second opinions for patients around the world
- State-of-the-art diagnostics, including CardioMEMS implantable pulmonary artery pressure monitors, technetium pyrophosphate scans, specialized cardiac MRI protocols and implantable loop recorders
- Collaborative care with experts in cardiac rehabilitation, regenerative medicine, genetic disorders, heart transplant, mechanical circulatory support, physical therapy and more
- Medication optimization and hemodynamically guided therapy to reduce repeat admissions
- Individualized evaluation for advanced heart failure therapies, from left ventricular assist devices to total artificial hearts
AI Uncovers High-Risk Patients
When combined with AI, large-scale observational studies led by Smidt Heart Institute investigators may offer major advances in cardiac risk prediction. Deep-learning AI algorithms that examined patient echocardiograms and basic clinical data outperformed trained sonographers in identifying high-risk patients in the first-ever randomized, blinded clinical trial of its kind.
Nature; PMID: 37020027